In June 2011 I turned 50. Since I am getting older, I feel that I should slow down and enjoy my bike rides more. So I will being doing more solo riding and touring that will give me the time to just ride and enjoy.

The purpose of this blog is to share my ride 'events', insights and experiences with others.

Enjoy my blog and hopefully you will get something out of it that will benefit your own riding.

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Day Two Columbia Gorge Explorer '11

Got a good nights sleep, despite the trains going by about every 30 minutes. Made coffee and had the last half of my turkey sandwich. The light rain had stopped by the time I finished eating, I was able to pack away a somewhat dry tent.

The day started out nice with a 15-20 mph tailwind. I made a early stop at a boat dock to use the restroom. I had parked my bike at the curb, shortly there after the wind knocked it over breaking my review mirror. Spent the rest of the day looking into a mirror that was no longer there.

Today's route was mostly on Hwy 14 with some detours for better views and some sightseeing. Stopped in Lyle for lunch, had a hot roast beef sandwich and fries, it was actually very good. After a lot of climbing and knowing there was not likely to be a good place to eat later, I stopped at the Maryhill Vineyards. They had live music entertainment, I had a BBQ chicken sandwich.

As I was finishing up my early dinner, I noticed a thunder storm aproaching. Knowing that the route would only head east for a few miles, thought I should leave if I wanted a chace to avoid it. Did not make it more than a mile before I had to don the rain gear again. Hail and the wind changing directions made for a tougher last section.

Despite the weather I still stopped at stonehedge to get some pictures. One last stop at Biggs Juction to get a two beers, some carrots and celery for snacks and a bagel for breakfast in the morning.

Made the camp site. Got the tent up and went straight to the showers, it felt so good. Sat around talking for a while, writing today's blog and then off to bed.

Well that is all for today, tomorrow comes early, they say the winds get stonger as the day goes on and it will be a headwind the entire time.

Actual route and personal riding data

No comments:

Post a Comment