In June 2011 I turned 50. Since I am getting older, I feel that I should slow down and enjoy my bike rides more. So I will being doing more solo riding and touring that will give me the time to just ride and enjoy.

The purpose of this blog is to share my ride 'events', insights and experiences with others.

Enjoy my blog and hopefully you will get something out of it that will benefit your own riding.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Day Three: Oregon Coast Solo Trip

Woke at a decent time this morning. Had everything packed and was on the road by 8:30. Stopped at Hill Top restaurant for breakfast, french toast, eggs and sausage,  the french toast was very good.  Back on the road about 9:30, Day was overcast with some breaks, but no moisture.

My knee is really bad today, every pedal stroke is an effort. Don't known what is wrong, I have a sharp pain under the knee cap. Want to finish this ride, been planned for a long time, but if things don't get better.....

Leaving Lincoln City via Hwy 101, traffic was not to bad and the shoulder was a decent width.  Stopped at Boiler Bay and ate a couple of packets of the apple slices I purchased last night.  Rode through Depoe Bay and on to Otter Crest Loop. The Otter Crest Loop is a nice alternative to Hwy 101,  The scenery is great along this route and traffic is very low.  The first section is uphill but is one way with a bike lane.  There are multiple pull outs for views and taking pictures.  At the Otter Crest State wayside, the road becomes two way and the bike lane ends,  but it is all down hill to Otter Rock.  Leaving Otter Rock we return to Hwy 101, higher traffic rates, but a wide shoulder.

Shortly after entering Newport the Bike Route leaves Hwy 101 and goes on Oceanview drive.  This keeps us off Hwy 101 through Newport as this portion is two lanes with no shoulder or bike lane.  This is a nice residential rode with light traffic, but has a few minor hills.

As I was winding through the neighbor hoods and the old area of Newport it became apparent that I was not going to be able complete my intended route today.  I stopped at the Whaler hotel to get a room for the night.  Called Nancy to let her know that I had to abandon the ride.

Well I was hoping to have more post and to complete the ride, but the issue with my knees was not improving and I decided it was better to abandon than to risk possibly further injury to my knees.

No comments:

Post a Comment