In June 2011 I turned 50. Since I am getting older, I feel that I should slow down and enjoy my bike rides more. So I will being doing more solo riding and touring that will give me the time to just ride and enjoy.

The purpose of this blog is to share my ride 'events', insights and experiences with others.

Enjoy my blog and hopefully you will get something out of it that will benefit your own riding.

Sunday, January 6, 2013

New Year and New resolutions

Well it is 2013, don't know what happened to the Mayans but I am glad to be here.

As stated before I crashed on my bike on November 8, 2012.  Because of the crash I had become sedentary.  Hard to do exercises when your left wrist, right knee and right elbow all hurt.  This has had an effect on my health as well.  On December 10, 2012 I weighed 267.9 pounds, the heaviest I have ever been!

On December 21st I had my annual physical, the results were not good.  High cholesterol and other things that are common for someone with obese weight.  Don't really want to list the details, but I was actually shocked at some of the results. So this has made up my mind that I need to change my lifestyle.

I had been cutting back on snacks and such since Dec. 10th, but after the results from the physical I decided that I needed to do more.  On Dec. 27th I started using LoseIt (again), I was down to 256.6 by then, as of today I am down to 251.4.   16 pounds lost in under a month.

LoseIt is great, it has great tools and helps me to stay on track.  The friends that I have made on the site give me the encouragement that I need to help me stay on track and stick with the lifestyle change.

I have been riding my ProForm Tour De France (TDF) indoor trainer.  It allows me to ride when the weather is bad.  I has also allowed me to get back on the bike sooner, since my accident, than I would otherwise would have been able.  See my coming post  for information on the TDF indoor trainer.

I am also looking at health and fitness programs.  Currently viewing Lifelong Health: Achieving Optimum Well-Being at Any Age (The Great Courses).  I am also starting to use David Nordmark's Animal Stretching (Animal Kingdom Workouts.com).

So my health resolution for the new year is:

  1. Eat an appropriate diet (volume wise) that is more natural (less refined foods).
  2. Exercise more (not just cycling).  This will include core exercises, stretching and what is called 'body weight resistance' exercises (no gym and no equipment)
  3. Do more cycling training so that I will be a better rider this summer.
  4. Goal weight of 180 by end of September 2013 



No comments:

Post a Comment