In June 2011 I turned 50. Since I am getting older, I feel that I should slow down and enjoy my bike rides more. So I will being doing more solo riding and touring that will give me the time to just ride and enjoy.

The purpose of this blog is to share my ride 'events', insights and experiences with others.

Enjoy my blog and hopefully you will get something out of it that will benefit your own riding.

Friday, May 27, 2011

Day One Columbia Gorge Explorer '11

Day 1: Vancouver, Washington to Home Valley, Washington - 51.2 miles.

The ride started at Larson's Bakery in Vancouver, I arrived about an hour late, and everyone had already left. Nancy had driven me to start and went into Larson's to grab me a sandwich and small coffee.  Ate half the sandwich and finished getting the bike ready.  While I was getting the bike ready our dauschund Kasey decided to treat herself to the other half of my sandwich.  Nancy went and had another made so I could take it with me.

About an hour into the ride decided to put my rain pants as the weather looked like it was about to turn. Almost had them on when it started to hail, it lasted about 10 minutes then was a steady heavy rain for the next hour. 

I stopped at the Washougal River Mercantile,  had a large coffee and got some beef jerky for later.  Met two other riders here at the store.  Stayed for a while to drink the coffee and warm up a bit.

The back roads through Washougal were nice, a lot better than riding SR-14.  Stopped at the picnic area across from the ranger station at Beacon Rock.  Had half of the Turkey and bacon sandwich that i got from Larson's that morning.

Made it to Stevenson and spotted a half dozen other riders at Andrews pizza . Had a couple of huge slices of pizza and an IPA.  Stayed a while warming up, texting friend and checking weather forecasts.  Several riders had decided to go to the Walking Man brew pub, which is only a block away, I decided to join them hoping that the rain would let up.

Left after having one IPA, as it looked like it was trying to clear up. Made it to Home Valley during the break and was able to get the tent set up before it started raining again. Sat around talking for a while, had the last half of my Turkey bacon sandwich, then it was off to bed.

Actual route and personal riding data

No comments:

Post a Comment