In June 2011 I turned 50. Since I am getting older, I feel that I should slow down and enjoy my bike rides more. So I will being doing more solo riding and touring that will give me the time to just ride and enjoy.

The purpose of this blog is to share my ride 'events', insights and experiences with others.

Enjoy my blog and hopefully you will get something out of it that will benefit your own riding.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Day Three Columbia Gorge Explorer '11

Woke early knowing that we would have head winds and that they only get stronger as the day goes on. Only had half the bagel before packing up and starting the ride. I was loaded up and heading out by 6:30.

The headwinds were as strong as I had expected them to be, that is until I rounded the point and got the full blast of them. I averaged around ten mph for the 17 miles to Cousins in The Dalles.

Cousins is where I had my real breakfast. If you are ever in The Dalles and looking for somewhere to eat, I recommend Cousins. The food was great and the service was very good.

Heading out from The Dalles we headed toward the Rowena curves. This is a three mile climb up a 5% grade. Today we also had the headwinds to contend with, though the trees did break it up once in a while. After finally reaching the top and snapping a few pictures, it was time to enjoy the downhill payoff from all that climbing. But today was different, the headwinds denied me the fast downhill joy that I was expecting. There were times going down a 3% grade that I had to pedal just to maintain 10 mph.

When I reached the bottom at Mosier I stopped at a small market to refill my water bottles. Almost fell because my shoe would not unclip (note to self: always check the tightness of your cleats before starting a long ride). After getting the water and taking care of the mechanical, it was on to the Mosier tunnels.

This is a nice ride on a wide bike path, with a bit of climbing. If you are riding this path be careful of the roadies that zoom down the trail. It was the first time I had seen the Mosier tunnels, it was enjoyable and worth the climb.

From Mosier we rolled into Hood River. As it is Memorial weekend the town was very busy. Rode through downtown stopping on the way out to grab something to eat, Pizacotto Pizza and sub sandwich to take with me for dinner.

The next seven miles were all on I-84, still fighting the headwinds with the added bonus of the high speed traffic rushing by just feet away.

Made it into the camp ground before most. Set up my tent and was ready to hit the showers when I was told that the hot water was out and it would be several hours before it was repaired.

Sat around talking to everyone about the ride today and previous adventures. Ate my sub sandwich and munched on some nuts. It is amazing how hungry you get riding. Well it is time to hit the showers and then the rack. Tomorrow is the last day of the ride.

Actual route and personal riding data

No comments:

Post a Comment